Monday, March 16, 2009

RIP Toaster


I have a toaster. It's beautiful and shiny. I got it for Christmas not too long ago. I didn't feel like I deserved it. Let me explain why.

We didn't have a toaster for a long time.
I threw it down the stairs.
I haven't thought about the toaster memory for many months. I used to think about it every time I looked at my new beautiful toaster. But I don't any more. Now I just think about how delicious my sugar coated toast will taste.

I remember that I was pregnant and on bed rest. I remember being stressed, tired, in pain, and alone. I also remember wanting some toast. Our toaster was a bit handicapped. Over the previous couple of weeks the boys had, slot by slot, melted toys in them.
Now there was only one slot to cook from.
Only one slot that worked.
In went the bread, and down went the lever. Then I smelled it. Burning. Melting.
A Crayon!
Now I distinctly remember picking up the toaster and throwing it down the stairs.
Yes, I threw it!
Then I cried.

Since I was on bed rest and under strict doctors orders (and shouldn't have been making toast in the first place), I definitely was not supposed to go up or down stairs. Stairs were illegal for me, but I needed to clean up before the kids got home. I cried some more as I made my way slowly and painfully down the stairs. The tears came because my body hurt, because I was frustrated with my kids, but mostly because I couldn't believe what I had done. I was so disappointed in myself.

Once down the stairs, I found the toaster in pieces. Carefully I gathered the pieces up in my extra roomy maternity shirt and made my way back up the stairs. Finally at the top, I opened the garage door and dumped the contents of my shirt onto the garage floor and closed the door.

When the kids found out, they cried too. How could they live without toast? I had a lot of apologizing to do, to everyone.

A couple days later, Chad asked where the toaster was. I pointed to the garage.

More apologizing.

Chad does a good job at making me feel better. He now says this story is one of the things that makes him love me more. I think he uses the word "endearing" when he talks about it.

I am not sure why.

We went without toast for a long time.

So you can see why opening up a beautiful toaster at Christmas was hard. Did I deserve it? No, but I really do love toast. Especially cinnamon toast.






One more thing to mention....

the kids have never put anything but bread in the toaster since.

11 comments:

The Heitritter Family said...

This is a funny story! It seems so out of character for you, but nutty kids and pregnancy limitations can sure get the best of someone - especially when you want your cinnamon toast (and who doesn't love that!). I think you are a wonderful writer and I look forward to each new blog post. Thanks for the smile!

the speers said...

I'm cracking up!!! I love that you chucked your toaster--love it! That's so funny! :D and we LOVE cinnamon toast at our house, too! :D

Ashley said...

I LOVE that you chucked your toaster!!!! I am somewhat envious. I have wanted to chuck things but lack the courage to actually do it. I totally get why hubby thinks of it as endearing because truly it is.

Jen said...

Marci
I love it! We all have our moments-some just more often than others. Mine seem to come all the time these days! Thanks for your call- you made my night!

Melodrama Mama said...

I LOVED that you told me this story! It is HILARIOUS! I won't embarass myself by listing all of my bad behavior now - let's save it for another dinner date!

Cagney and Laci said...

I think we all have moments like that, I am pretty sure you are way cooler in my book because you are human! I am so happy you can have some toast once again, I don't know what I would do without a toaster.

heidijogoody said...

Thanks for sharing this cute story :)

Cyndi and Logan said...

I love it!! I have had so many moments like this!! You are the best!!

Grossarths said...

I can totally relate to these moments when "throwing the toaster" seems like the only logical thing to do to make you feel better. Especially during pregnancy. It makes us do weird thingS! I'm glad you have another toaster because cinnimon toast makes everything better.

Alicia said...

Love the post!!! I think we can all relate. It might not be with the toaster, but something similar. I love these posts, because it helps me take a deep breath and realize I am not alone.

Allie said...

Sometimes things just need to get thrown...

PS- I love that you cut your own hair. It turned out great. If I cut my own hair I am pretty sure that I would need to lie and say that I woke up after a nap to a pile of hair on the floor and scissors in my toddler's hands!