Friday, March 13, 2009

For the love of all that's Salmon




My boys love salmon. I love to serve it to them for my own personal enjoyment. Mouths open wide. Salmon shoveled in.

We had salmon for dinner last night.

Within seconds it is gone.
Cleared off plates.
Not a scrap left.
Then like clockwork I hear the words..."are you going to eat that?"
Jacob is talking to me. I haven't even touched my salmon yet. How could I eat while watching him. My eyes glued to his mouth. It goes like this every time.



Once upon a time last year I took Jacob on a date. We got all dressed up in our fancy clothes. He was so handsome. Chad was out of town at the time and I arranged babysitters every night so I could take my kids on dates, or more truthfully, so they could take me out.

I told him he could choose anywhere...where ever he wanted to eat we would go. His response:

"Crab, salmon and shrimp"

It was going to be an expensive night. Together we drove to Market Street. Together we crossed the fun, bouncy bridge that connects the parking lot to the restaurant. Together we were taken to a table. And together we sat. He couldn't get all three favorites in one plate, so I ordered salmon, while he ordered crab and shrimp. Surely he would be too full to eat any of my salmon.

Usually the waitress is in a hurry.
I have been there a few times before...they are busy.
She brought Jacobs food.
She was curious.
The second the plate hit the table he was digging in with fingers. No time for manners when there is food like that.
She just stood there with a wide open mouth.
Still standing there as he licked the last piece of crab off his plate she said,
"I have never seen a kid do that before."
Her words lingered at our table as she walked away.

I watched his eyes emerge from behind his plate as he lowered it back to the table. A few pieces were still attached to his chin. I am sure he would have licked those off too if his tongue were long enough.

Then the words I hear every time we eat salmon...."are you going to eat that?"

My response...."oh no, go ahead."

And he did.

10 comments:

Heather said...

I'm impressed Marci! I can't even get my husband to eat salmon! If you have any tricks, let me know!!

Michelle said...

That is too funny Marci....I couldn't stop laughing. My kids wouldn't come near it. Every now and then I might convince them to have some tuna or a breaded piece of halibut, but you should see the faces I get when I make salmon for the two of us.

The Heitritter Family said...

I feel sorry for my family because I just can't get myself to like seafood so I never make it. Kestler likes seafood, so maybe his genes will pass on to the kids!

Kim Goddard said...

I LOOOOVE Salmon! I can't get my kids to eat it though! How do you cook yours? Will you share a yummy recipe with me? Thanks! p.s. I just got released as YW pres! Now I have some nice calm in my life....for a minute! :)

CANADIAN AMERICAN FAMILY said...

WOW I wish Owen would eat fish..or anything healthy for that matter!

Sissy Jackson said...

Marci, you are an amazing mom. I NEVER share my Salmon. Ok, so sometimes I kind of do but you are so cute! Love your kids! You make me smile!

Glass House said...

So who takes all these pictures? Is it you Marci or your husband? What kind of camera are you using, they look really good, I love it!

Kim H. said...

You are a great mom, and my kids literally throw up every time me take them out for seafood, so be thankful:)

Kim H. said...

Oh, and I figured out how to make pictures small, if you have photoshop choose the save for web option and under new size change the percent to 20%, make sure "constrain proportions" is checked. Good luck!

the crew said...

I love it!