Monday, December 15, 2008

If Trees Could Talk


I fell in love with Mount Vernon. I even dreamed about it that night... ball gowns and carriages! So far, I think it is my favorite place we have visited. During the month of December the third floor is open to visitors, so we were able to see where Martha Washington spent her last two years of her life before she passed away. When George Washington died, Martha closed the door to the room that they shared and moved upstairs to a bedroom on the third floor where she could see his tomb from her window. She died two years later. I just thought that was so romantic. They wouldn't let you take pictures inside the house...I wish I could have though. It was amazing.




This is the same view George Washington saw from his porch 200 years ago. The tree in the picture is one of two original trees on the back portion of the house.


This is the Tomb where George and Martha are buried.



George often paid for a camel to stay on his property for the Christmas season.





The visitor center had 13 themed trees decorated. Jacob couldn't leave the ornaments alone. We had to get out of there fast. It was a wonderful day. We spent about 5 hours looking around the farm, and even saw a fox. (Tehya had a nightmare about being eaten by a fox with glowing eyes that night...exciting!) I told Chad that we are going to have to buy a year pass there...and if you come to visit us, just plan on making a trip to Mount Vernon. All the paint in the house is original and so is 40% of the furniture. The house has such a grand feeling to it...just imagine all of the important decisions that were made within those walls...

6 comments:

Erin said...

I am so jealous-- Mount Vernon is on my list of architectural places to visit... one day.

Heather said...

Looks like a beautiful place to visit! I know my husband would love it!

Rebecca said...

You are so cute! What a fun family trip!

Kim H. said...

Looks cool, can't wait till we make it there!

Jennifer said...

I loved Mount Vernon, too! You'll have to go in the spring or summer when everything is so green and beautiful. You're going to love all the sights there!

the speers said...

I'm super jealous! I've been dying to get over there, and we were excited to go at Christmas time, but could never get over there early enough!! We'll have to go together, for sure! your fam is so cute!!!