Sunday, March 27, 2011

Race Day


The morning started earlier than most mornings for us. I woke up 2 minutes before my alarm went off...at 3:58 am. Race day jitters!!!

Marie (a cute girl I ran Ragnar with last year) picked me up at 5 and we started on our journey into DC for the Suntrust National Half Marathon. Thanks to another dear friend and 2 more teenage babysitters in the neighborhood, Chad was able to come and wait for me at the finish line.

It was a cold 30 degrees at the start line, but that's what we've all been running in all winter, so it wasn't a surprise. The sun was just coming up, the air was crisp, it was a perfect day for a race.

I absolutely love the energy that surrounds a race. It seems to add a little extra spring in your step. I crossed the finish line in 1:43:08, two minutes faster than my goal. As soon as I saw the finish line, I had to fight back the tears. I ran under the finish line arch, and let the tears escape. For some reason, I get so emotional every time I cross a finish line. Maybe because it reminds me so much of life here on this earth and what it will be like when we finally return home to Heaven. It reminds me of how we are all running a race. It's so hard some times, but we hope our work will be worth it. We spend so much time training, perfecting, practicing. I love the symbolism of our loved ones waiting on the other side of the finish line...cheering us on...waiting for us to cross into their wide open arms. I especially love it when we reach our goals and we can cross the finish line knowing we've done the best we can. I love racing. It reminds me of life. Every time.

8 comments:

Liz Green said...

Way to go Marci! Wish we could have been there to cheer you on.

kortnikae said...

Congrats on the race, Marci! You are my hero-- seriously.
I miss you so so so much.

The Heitritter Family said...

Way to go! I have run in a bajillion races and have never once thought of it that way. I love your spiritual way of thinking and I will always think of that from now on. You look absolutely incredible too when you finish a race, it is just amazing!

lrh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katyasmommy said...

Congratulations on your race and on meeting your goal. We should run a half together sometime!

Alicia said...

Wow, Marci, that is an incredible time! Way to go!

Tom said...

Well done, Marci! A great analogy between a foot race experience and our greatest quest in life--running it well and finishing it off with joy in the accomplishment. We are proud of you and love you very much!

DAD & MOM GREEN

Kristin said...

Way to go marci! You are such an inspiration and so awesome!!