Friday, June 5, 2009

Story time! My version and his version.


He picked the wrong window to perch on. It was about midnight when I spotted him, green and black, suctioned to our sliding door. The rain must have brought him.
I caught him...I grabbed his slimy little body and put it in a container with some water and rocks. For the next hour I debated letting him go.
As I peered into the container, I whispered a little "sorry".
Then I went to bed.

So far today, Shawn the frog has been on quite the adventure.
I made the rule "frogs stay outside", but Shaun keeps managing to find his way indoors.
At 6:00 am, he ate breakfast with us, observing from the leg of a dining chair.
6:30, his first trip to the bathroom inside a little boys pocket.
6:45, a swiming excersion inside an old pickle jar.
7:00, lost behind the TV.
Our day has continued like this...inside and out, lost and found.
At about 8:00, Jacob let him go. They stared at eachother, one boy inside, one slimy frog outside. Stared for about 10 minutes until suddenly Shaun jumped back inside onto Jacobs happy little arm. Upstairs he ran to explain that Shaun chose to stay.
One time Jacob believed he was sneaking Shaun inside safely in his pocket, when I spotted him clinging tightly to Jacobs back.
It's 9:30 now and I don't know what to do.

So now here I sit. Frog croaking in the background. Jacob teaching him his ABC's. Outside the window I watch a mommy robin sit on her nest full of plump blue eggs.
Across the lawn, a bunny munches on our weeds. And inside, a frog hops around.


I heard Jacob's version of the story while he talked to my mom on the phone:

My Frog, by Jacob Green

We found a frog.
I took it inside, and outside, and inside, and outside.
Then I hid it in my house.
Then I let it go.
Bye!

Update: Shaun the frog is safe and sound outside, hiding somewhere. Jacob asks..."do you think he is missing me horribly?"

4 comments:

The Heitritter Family said...

Ha ha! Cute story. That's a pretty cute frog too, but I don't know how much I would want it in the house either!

Rebecca said...

So cute!

As for the coupon thing: sign up for an account on couponmom.com and red the "Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half: With the Coupon Mom System" PDF file. It gives great beginners advice! After that, feel free to ask more! I'm still just learning myself but I ask lots of questions!

Jen said...

I love it! Thanks for giving me a glimpse of what my life will be like in two years with two boys! Hope you are all doing well. Call me some time you are free!

Keri and Wayne Clarke said...

Marci, what a beautiful story and a beautiful blog! You should submit this to a magazine- you're very talented! Amazing photos too!