Wednesday, April 22, 2009

potty talk

I went to the doctor the other day.
I was told to drink 32 oz of water one hour before I arrived. The test was just an ultrasound for something you really don't want to know about. Obediently I chugged 2 water bottles one hour before my appointment. When I arrived at the doctor, I was already pretty uncomfortable.
Probably because I hadn't emptied my bladder since the morning.
Oh well.

Excited to have a quiet moment, I sat down in the waiting room with a good book.

I sat still.

I waited.

I waited some more...

Forty five minutes later, I was still sitting, but I could no longer hold still. I tried to concentrate on my book, but the "P" word kept creeping into the pages. Dancing in my chair, I wondered if I should get up and pester the receptionist, or just be patient.

Now pain. I couldn't remember having to go this bad since I was little. I stood up to walk to the counter and had to waddle, knees held tight together. Looking down at my stomach, I looked pregnant.

I asked, "do you know how much longer I am going to have to wait?"

The reply, "maybe another half hour."

Now panic.

I explained to the girl why I was there. As embarrassed as I was, the discomfort was grater and I confided in her that I could hold "it" no longer. She suggested that I only let out a little to relieve the discomfort.

Away I waddled down the hall and around the corner to the bathroom. I felt 5 again.

Only a little.
I would just go a little.
Just to relieve the pressure and pain.

I couldn't do it! I tried to be disciplined, but it all came out. I was sure they would call my name as soon as I went back in and the test would have to be rescheduled.

On my way back to confess, I swallowed as much water from the drinking fountain as I could.

She called my name.

With my head down, I walked back to the front desk.

"It all came out."

She just laughed and handed me a water bottle. "Get drinking."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This picture is random, but I wanted to show Kim G what the jammies she gave Savannah looked like. Thanks Kim! She finally gets to wear them.

14 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Marci, that is the worst kind of pain! I can totally relate! I hope that they were still able to do the test and I hope that all is well!
P.S. I love your stories! You are too funny! Keep them coming!

The Heitritter Family said...

Hee hee! I have an ultrasound today and have to go through the same thing. It is so awful when you are pregnant anyway because even when it feels like you only need to go a little bit, it feels like you need to go a lot! Silly receptionist, you can't just go a little! Great story - I always enjoy them!

Kim H. said...

Love that picture! and I had the opposite thing happen with an ultrasound, I got in there and tech said, uh your blatter is huge, ya think you could have gone to the bathroom first...I guess you just can't win

leanne said...

Marci! i love that story..you had me laughing like crazy!!

(love the picture!! she is growing up so fast!)

Alicia said...

That story gave me a smile!!

Tiffany said...

Marci! I found your blog through Sissy and Heather. How are you??? I can tell by the darling pictures you are doing well and are soooo blessed. Your family, four children!, are just so dang cute. Even Chad. I loved your post called "trade"...so sweet. You haven't changed.

Kim Goddard said...

Marci! I had the same thing happen to me when I was pregnant once! I tried to just let a little out and it all came out too!!!! It totally does make you feel like you are 5 all over again! I love the jammies! She is so stinkin' cute I could just eat her up! Love the picture of your little "smurf" too! Kids......

Mary Beth said...

That's so funny because the same thing happened to me at my appointment yesterday. Only, I didn't ask permission to go- I actually forgot I was supposed to wait. Who on earth during their 4th pregnancy doesn't remember that you're going to have to give a urine sample at each and every appointment? I felt so dumb when I remembered the instant I walked out of the bathroom and they called my name. I had to try twice before I left the office, I still came up pretty short for the sample...

Is that too much information?

Lora said...

Marci,
You are soooo funny and cute! I almost wet my pants reading this because I was laughing so hard. I have been there done that! So uncomfortable! Hope everything is ok for you!

Marci said...

Guys! Thanks for the stories. It is comforting to think that we all have had crazy ultrasound experiences. I love you all!

Glass House said...

so wait are you pregnant?

Marci said...

No Jana, I am not pregnant. Savannah is our last...I had my tubes tied this last c-section- doctors orders. I had to have an ultrasound for other reasons...although I sometimes wish we could have more babies. 4's good though. Actually, it was a little sad to have an ultrasound and not see a little peanut in there.

the speers said...

Marci! I love you, that's SO funny!!!

Lianne said...

That is hilarious. I always have to laugh when people say to just go a little. Who can do that? Especially when you've been holding it for so long and are so full. I miss you Marci.